22 November 2004

How I Quit Smoking

In Cigarettes Are Sublime, French professor Richard Klein writes:

"The pain of smoking is nothing compared to the enormous disquiet of having vowed to stop, a promise which smoking 'the last cigarette' nicely absolves. To stop, one first has to smoke the last cigarette, but the last one is yet another one. Stopping therefore means continuing to smoke. The whole paradox is here: Cigarettes are bad for me, therefore I will stop. Promising to stop creates enormous unease. I smoke the last cigarette as if I were fulfilling a vow. The vow is therefore fulfilled and the uneasiness it causes vanishes; hence the last cigarette allows me to smoke many others after that."

I quit by vowing never to quit...never to smoke my last cigarette.

No comments:

Post a Comment